About The Centre of Sighisoara
Medieval complex of military, civilian and ecclesiastical architecture of European value, Sighisoara is part of the very few citadel – towns still inhabited and the only one preserved and inhabited in Romania. Due to its remarkable architecture, dominant location and geographic ambiance, the town was named, at the end of the 19th century, “The Pearl of Transilvania”.
The Citadel of Sighisoara - one of the most spectacular and mysterious urban citadels in Transylvania, presents itself as a valuable historical monument offering a lively encounter with the past. Situated beside the Tarnava Mare river, the citadel of Sighisoara was founded by German settlers in the 12th century. The first documentary evidence dates from 1298.
The town's most famous landmark is the Clock Tower, which initially served as the main entrance to the citadel. For centuries it also housed the town hall. In 1604 the tower was equipped with a wooden horologe which was remade in 1648 by Johann Kirschel. He equipped the clock with two big dials (one on each facade of the tower) and with two groups of wooden figurines arranged in niches. The figurines are moved by the clock's mechanism.
The Monastery Church is located in the Citadel Square not far from the Clock Tower. The church, which is built in Gothic style of the hall-churches with 2 naves and 2 rows of pillars, belonged to the Dominican Monastery. The monastery used to be placed to the north of the church; it was built at the beginning of the 13th century and was demolished at the end of the 19th century. Its place was taken by the present town hall. The church was restored in the 15th century and then again after the big fire of 1676. The last repairs were done in 1894 and 1929 when the church acquired its present day look.