About The Centre of Sibiu
Due to the events of December 1989, The Big Square of Sibiu became a point of reference and a symbol. It is one of the biggest squares of Transylvania, located in the north part of the city and it has always been representative for the ancient burg.
Built between the XIVth and the XVIth centuries, The Small Square, also known as “The small ring”, is located in the second part of the fortress. This square represents the old commercial centre of the city. The square is divided in two distinctive parts separated by Ocnei Street.
The Brukenthal Palace located at no. 4 in the Large Square is among the most representative buildings of Sibiu. This building is different from other palaces built in open spaces because it was limited by the initial parcels existing here. The palace was built on the location of two medieval houses.
The City Hall Tower is one of the most famous monuments of Sibiu. It bears this name because it used to defend the entrance gate into the second precinct, situated in the immediate vicinity of the building which once hosted the City Hall of Sibiu, mentioned in the documents for the first time in 1324.
The first iron-cast bridge in Romania is built in 1859 over the way of access that connects the upper town to the lower town, opened in 1851. Built after the demolition of the houses spreading almost the Council Tower, the bridge was inaugurated in 1860. The legend says that each time someone crossing the bridge told a lie, it started squeaking threatening to fall.