The first document that certifies the existence of a Romanian Orthodox church in Brasov, namely the current Saint Nicholas Church from Schei, is the Papal Bull from the 15th of December 1399, through which pope Boniface IX sends a letter of indulgence for the conversion of the Orthodox people from the city 'Corona', who possess a church for their own use. Before this church there was a cross made from wood, covered with shingle and erected in 1292.

During the archaeological diggings, led by the Institute of Historical Monuments, between 1969 and 1975, were discovered traces of some foundations that have belonged to a number of three religious buildings.

The Saint Nicholas Church from Schei, Brasov owns a rich library and archive enriched with charters and reigning books, among thousands of official papers, letters and registry books, which constitute a real treasure for Romanian history.

From unmemorable times, the Orthodox Romanians from Schei, Brasov have a historical biography, with beginnings lost in the mist of time and a destiny confounded with the destiny of the Romanian people. An objective fact of keeping the national entity was the ancestral Orthodox faith. The Saint Nicholas Church was a bright hotbed of Orthodox culture and resistance, a bridge between Transylvania and Wallachia, the centre of religious life and national source of strength.