About Vine and Wine Museum Minis
The museum, housed in a tour de force in 1988, shows archaeological pieces, tools, equipment, documents and photographs relating to the history of viticulture and wine on one of the oldest viticultural areas of Romania, Minis – Maderat vineyard. There are credible indications that speak of the practice of viticulture in this area since ancient times. The first documentary attestation of the Minis vineyards dates from the XI-th century. The cultivated area increased permanently. Thus, if the Ottoman Empire, in 1562, recorded 700 hectares of vineyard, in 1746, half a century after the establishment of the Habsburg domination, there were more than 2,000 hectares of vineyard, the area tripled in the twentieth century.
In 1636, Prince George Rakoczi asked for a digging into the rock of a basement with a capacity of 7,000 hl in Mocrea, and in 1749 Count Grassalkovich arranged a basement at Minis. In 1878, when the wine production was very high, the first concrete tanks they were built. In 1881, the School of Viticulture was established which prepared specialists in the field. Nursery gardens were established at Paulis-Baratca, Ceala and Târnova, two major winemaking centers were built in Baratca and Minis and a research station was established.
Wines with controlled designation of origin produced here are red Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Burgundy and white Italian Riesling, Furmint, Muscat Ottonel. Since 1744, in the Minis- Covasânt area, Cadarc sweet wine is produced.
The most important recognition of its quality dates from 1862 when at the International Exhibition in London, a sweet red wine of Minis was called "the king of wines".
During the communist regime, began the reorganization and the intensive exploitation of vineyards, quality losing more ground in favor of quantity. After 1989, with the restitution of land under vines, the production decreased and the area economic recovery and tourist projects have just started.
The museum can be visited on request.